With the Health & Safety Executive and local authorities ramping up their inspection activity, the British Pest Control Association said its more important than ever that pest management companies are COVID-secure.
While nothing about the pandemic has been easy for small business owners, especially pest management companies, the BPCA said that it wants to protect staff and clients, as operating during a pandemic comes with extra safety concerns.
The BPCA said the HSE and local authorities will use their enforcement powers if they find that an organisation has not implemented good enough COVID-secure safety measures. Measures can include written notices or shutting a business down.
Employees are also being encouraged to report unsafe workplaces if they’re concerned about the lack of COVID-19 precautions, so you now have the added pressure of whistleblowing from within your team.
The BPCA’s COVID-secure checklist includes:
- Reading its Becoming COVID-19 secure guidance document and implementing its recommendations;
- Undertake your COVID-19 risk assessment;
- Make sure staff understand the COVID-19 protocols;
- Maintain two metres social distancing;
- Make sure extra hygiene measures are in place; and
- Enforce measures and monitor your team’s behaviour.
The BPCA said: “You need to engage with your staff and communicate the measures you’ve put into place. There is no point having procedures written down if nobody is aware of what’s expected of them when they’re working and when the inspector visits.
“Staff being flippant about arrangements in place or failing to demonstrate awareness and compliance will not serve the business well.”